Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 4th Birthday, Miss Helen!!!

Almost 8 months ago, we brought home this precious little girl who spoke no English. She was shy and withdrawn.

Today, she is an incessant chatterbox and full of life. She brings so much laughter into our home and is definitely "our baby". All the kids adore her!! She can make us laugh and also give the sweetest hugs at the same time.

Last week, the kids and I all went birthday party shopping for her. I put her in the cart at Wal-Mart and off we went to the party aisle. As she chose her Princess plates and napkins, Princess pinata, Princess wrapping paper, I put it all in the back of the cart. When I turned back around, I saw MY PRINCESS with arms overflowing. She had gotten everything out of the back of the cart, put it in her lap and her little arms were stretched wide open as she declared to everyone in the store, "I AM GOING TO HAVE A BIRTHDAY. I WILL BE FOUR. I AM ALMOST FOUR. I WILL HAVE A BIRTHDAY." Just picture her waving at everyone in Wal-Mart and declaring her birthday to them all. (Her first birthday even though she would be turning four.)

For those of you that know Helen, you know she LOVES to be held. She loves for one of us to be holding her. She loves to snuggle her face into our necks. She loves to just be close. Well, a few nights ago I was combing her hair and she stepped back from me, put her hands on her hips, and stated, "I'm almost 4 now, Mom. I think I'm almost too big for you to carry." Then she left. I chuckled to myself.

This morning when she woke up and realized it was her big day, she was glowing! She enjoyed pancakes for breakfast, pizza for lunch, special time at the gymnastics center and a whole lot of loving on her special day! Her siblings loved doting on her and giving presents and taking care of her. At dinner, we sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Then I told her that her special day would be over when she woke up in the morning. With the most serious expression she asked, "Can I have two days, Mommy?"

Every day is special with Miss Helen. Thank you, God, for such an incredible blessing in that sweet child!!!

1 comment:

Deb said...

sooo sweet. I can't wait to meet her (and you!)
Blessings....