Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

As I woke, I realized it was my Mother's Day as a mama to 7 beautiful, wonderful treasures.  My heart was full and I knew it would be an amazing day.  We loaded into the car set for a new church that morning and I had no idea the blessing I would receive that day!!

We attended the service with all 7 of our children and to be honest, there weren't a ton of kids in the sanctuary. Most of them were in Sunday school.  I have to admit, I was a little guarded with my little ones.  Bless being 2 who has no idea yet what being quiet means.  Realistically neither do Helen (4), Aiden (5) and definitely Joseph (8).  Sitting still and being quiet is still something we are training the little ones on and since Joseph has only been in the US for 2 months, everything is a new experience.  A new learning opportunity.

We stood and worshipped our King. I thanked Him for the little people He has placed around me.  I begged Him to lead me as I lead them, as I teach them to be warriors for Him, as Righ and I disciple each child God is entrusting us with.  Then, a very special moment came.  The worship pastor had set aside a very special service for all adoptive parents and children.  As he explained what we were to do, tears formed in my eyes.  How was I to do that, but how could I not? Every adult child, every adoptive parent, anyone involved in adoption could go forward, take a red rose provided and lay it on the stage in honor of the birth mother who sacrificed so much.

I was holding Bless in my arms and I cuddled him closer and closer. I looked at Righ with tears in my eyes as he held Helen and I knew he was nudging me.  My tears came faster and I prayed for God to protect the mothers that had given up my babies.  I wanted so desperately to go to the front, but I wondered if I could even compose myself to walk up that aisle?  At that moment as I was convincing myself I could do this without sobbing, Righ stepped out into the aisle and I led the way.  Tears flowing with each step and Bless' arms wrapped around my neck.  Once I got to the front, I picked up the rose and immediately Bless leaned over and took it from me.  He looked into my eyes, then placed that rose on the stage.  And I lost it.  How could I not?  He is 2 years old, had no idea what we were doing, but yet he did.  He honored his birth mother and me all at the same time.  As I turned to walk away, I saw Helen do the same thing for her own birth mother.  And I walked back to our seats where the other children were seated. With each step, the tears did not stop, but kept flowing.  My heart was broken and rejoicing at the same time.  Thankful and sad.  And everyone saw it.  Everyone saw the pain in my eyes and the little brown skinned baby in my arms and I pray someone was moved to pray for the millions of mothers around this world who cannot be mothers.  The ones that feel they have no choice but to give up their babies. The ones who feel forced into selling their children into slavery to feed the others.  The ones who choose which children will receive food that night and which ones will not.  Father, forgive us where we fail you and equip us to advocate for them.

And that was my most beautiful, blessed Mother's Day yet!!





2 comments:

Christy said...

Oh Kristie...I'm sobbing like a baby reading this post! What a beautiful story.

The Red Clay said...

I would love to pick your brain about adopting from Ghana! We are contemplating switching over from a DRC program.