Thursday, December 1, 2011

And it began again....

Twelve and a half months ago, I boarded a plane to Ghana with Sydney. We were on a mission. A mission to bring Samuel and Helen home. To bring them back to the States never to be separated from us again. Our 2nd mission? To love the fatherless, to provide food, clean water and medicine to the children left behind. You see, this is the mission statement for FEEDING THE ORPHANS, God's ministry.

If we give them food, but not Jesus, what have we done? If we give them clothes, but not our Savior, what have we done? Everything is in His name.

As we walked into one of the orphanages to be Jesus and visit Jesus all at the same time, a baby boy was placed in my arms. He stole my heart and I prayed God would provide him a family. I remember holding him, so small and happy, and pleading with God to bring someone to love him forever.....to place him in a momma's arms that will train him to be a warrior for JESUS!!!




I watched Sydney hold him and fall in love with him. And that night, I posted pictures to Facebook. One of my best friends in America saw his picture and her heart was broken, but her husband had not been open to adoption. He wanted to support others, but not put himself there. Yet. This is the same friend who had the dream about a baby boy. You can read that here. As I read her email, I could only think this is the baby in the dream. She emailed again and her husband wanted to know if he was adoptable. I was giddy!!!



We arrived back at the orphanage two days later to say goodbye to the children and give one last hug to them all. Once again, that sweet baby was placed in my arms. This time, all I could think is I will hold him again in America. He will live down the street from me. I will be a part of his life. Thank you, Lord, for giving him a momma!!





Six weeks later, I received an email from Ghana and the baby boy had a brother, a 6 year old brother. My heart sank. My sweet friend had three sons and one daughter. I knew God's plan was a sister for her daughter. I knew this meant they were not the family God had in mind. There truly are no words for the next few days. I mourned over these two boys. I pleaded with God to do something, to bring a family to love them.

As I sat in my chair one afternoon, I heard God say, "You are to adopt those boys." What???? Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute!!! We had gone from a family of 5 to a family of 7 just TWO MONTHS AGO!!! My hubby and I had just decided we would adopt again, but it would be a little while. Again, I heard, "You are to adopt those boys."

Now, I knew my hubby would say NO WAY!!! Don't ask me that, don't talk to me about that! I also knew what my Father was asking of me and I knew I had no choice. I want to live my life for Jesus to the fullest in complete and utter obedience. As I called him on the phone and explained it all to him he said, "Let's pray about it."

Shock, disbelief! God was speaking through him and leading him. I went on to explain it would be two weeks or more before we knew any details of the boys so we had some time. I sat down to pray and to seek His face. My specific prayer was over the oldest brother's name. We had no idea what it was. We only knew his age and had seen his picture. I prayed God would make his name so significant we would not be able to ignore it if he were to be our son.

Within minutes my phone rang. My contact in Ghana was calling with info on the boys. The same info I thought we would receive in two weeks. Oh goodness, I thought we would have more time. As I listened to their story, my heart was broken. Tears came and I prayed for Him to lead us. Or bring the family for the boys.

Then she said, "Kristie, his name is Joseph." This in itself was significant to us. You see, Samuel's birth name was Richard, but during our adoption process during Bible study one morning, God spoke so audibly we were to name him Samuel. I had prayed for a child and told my Lord I would give my child back to him, just as Hannah had done in the Old Testament. Joseph was another Old Testament name and my heart started racing. I felt the Holy Spirit prodding to google the Biblical meaning of Joseph (strange I know). The very first find was,

And she named him Joseph, meaning may He add to you another son. - Genesis 30:24

The tears came harder and faster. God answered my prayer. I asked specifically about the brother's name and He answered. He confirmed in my head what I already knew in my heart. Joseph and Bless were to be my sons. The baby in my friend's dream almost a year ago was my baby, just like she thought. As she scooped that baby out of the water and placed him in my arms in the dream, she is now doing that.

As I phoned my husband and ran through everything, he was not completely on board. He was amazed God had spoken so clearly to me, but now he wanted to hear. For himself. Over the next few weeks, I waited. Some days I was patient, others I was not. I needed my husband to hear SOMETHING. I was convinced maybe he wasn't even praying about it. I became angry with him for not believing me. In reality, he did believe me. He just needed to hear from God himself. As I look back I am so glad he was insistent. I am so glad he did not take my word for it because this was a HUGE step for our family!!


The next portion of the story is better told by him so hopefully he will be ready to share this weekend. God continues to amaze me. As I waited for my husband, continuously God spoke, "These boys will be for my GLORY and for my GLORY alone."

Lord, I thank you that I am given the gift to be the mother of these two precious boys from Ghana.


And how fitting that my dear, sweet friend, Paige, who had the dream of a baby boy almost two years ago was in Ghana with me when I met Joseph for the first time and cradled Bless once again!!

1 comment:

Pastor Deb said...

This is such a beautiful and totally God Story. I have to tell you that when our ministry ended in Ghana I was shattered and prayed God would send someone who would love these children as I did or better then that with the Love of Jesus. I prayed the Holy Spirit would prepare that person or persons to to take these and many more children as their own. I have to tell you that you are the people God showed me. He told me not to worry. He showed me our "KIDS" would be blessed more than I could imagine. He showed me the kids with Paul and Enoch would be ok. That the adoptions would go through and that many many more will be cared for. Your beautiful family are totally obedient to the Holy Spirit and I thank you so much. Now even my son Joson has found a loving American family to adopt him. It was hard for me to let go but again I know it it the work of the hand of God. I am praying always for your family and ministry.May the lord bless everything you put your hands to. The fruit is evident!!!!