Monday, December 5, 2011

Shooting Stars and Children

When my wife came to me and told me she heard from God that we were to adopt two more orphans from Ghana, I thought she had completely lost her mind.  (You can read her story here.)  When she told me she knew exactly who they were, I was sure she had.  She asked me to pray and seek the Lord on His will and I reluctantly agreed to do just that (as we had JUST brought home Samuel and Helen two months before).  On a daily basis she would ask what God was telling me about the boys and on a daily basis I told her “I don’t know yet.”  I was seeking and wanting to be obedient to what God wanted me to do, but I had to know for sure.  This was not, “God, should I take this job?” or “God, should we sell our house?” both very critical things to seek the Lord on.  But this was a HUGE decision and I had to be sure Kristie and I were on the same page and that page was ONLY God’s will.

I am a constellation man.  Since a child I have thoroughly enjoyed the stars and spent countless nights staring up into God’s vast greatness in awe and wonder.  





So one night as I found myself looking up into His heavens, I saw Orion the Hunter, and I heard the Lord say to me

 Happy is he whose quiver is full.”  

And I replied, “Yes, Lord, but my quiver fills pretty full with 5 kiddos right now.”  Then I started to bargain with God.  I told Him if he really wanted us to adopt these two brothers, it would be great if He would send a shooting star across the bow of this constellation, Orion the Hunter.  I waited in expectation, but nothing happened.  Then I started to walk back inside and I heard the Lord tell me to come back and look up again.  I obeyed, and as I looked back at Orion, a shooting star shot straight across his bow!  I sat there in bewilderment for a moment, then started to rationalize what I had just seen.  

“God, that sure was a small shooting star; and it sure did go fast.  I was hoping for something a bit more substantial in the way of shooting stars.” 

But no more came that day.  As I told my family what had happened, they were ecstatic and confident in the Lord’s will, but Dad needed yet more confirmation from the Lord that this was indeed His will.
A week went by and I was again outside one clear cold night.  I was talking with the Lord and telling Him that I was sorry I am like Gideon throwing out my fleece again and again, but I know He is a God of love and mercy and grace and forgiveness.  I told my King that if He would just send another large shooting star right now, then I would quit trying to rationalize and understand everything and simply would obey Him and ADOPT the boys.  As I said “amen” and looked right in front of me, a HUGE BRIGHT shooting star fell straight down exactly where my eyes were looking.  And I could visualize the Lord flinging this star from His fingertip. 




I hit my knees and wept.  Wept at the confirmation of what I had just received after seeking so long.  Wept over two orphans that would no longer be orphans.  Wept over my God who is SO loving and faithful and powerful.  Wept over my God who answers. - Righ


You can imagine my delight when the Lord connected our hearts, when He answered our prayers.  And the excitement as my arms are even more full of joy in the form of 7 beautiful treasures that God chose ME to be a mother to.  So if you are out there and you have a heart to adopt and your husband doesn't, it is ok.  A little over two years ago, my hubby was adamant we would not adopt.  4 children that are orphans no more later and he knows we are not finished.  So pray. Just pray. Pray for our God to intervene and to unite hearts.  If you feel like you cannot be a good mother to the children in your home, it is ok.  Our God will give you enough strength each day IF you just ask Him, if you lean on Him, if you fully depend on Him.  So for Christmas this year all I want is for my boys to come HOME and a Memorial Box.  The first thing to go in it?  A star. An incredible reminder of how God spoke to my husband about our beautiful Ghanaian sons. - Kristie


This story is such a reminder of God's love for the fatherless and I have been waiting to make it a Memorial Box Monday.  

6 comments:

Deb said...

LOVE

Renee said...

My goodness, this story of God's love and goodness is amazing and exciting~ What joy you must feel knowing your family will grow soon again. Thank you for sharing this with all the MBM readers.

Charmaine said...

Wow.... thank you both for sharing. What an inspiration and reminder to look to God for our answers.

Mom Of Many said...

Oh I just absolutely LOVE that God spoke to you in your "love language". He is just so faithful! Thank you so much for sharing! Bless you all so much! xo

Mom Of Many said...

PS I read your MBMonday story to Dw, Emma, Savannah and Graham. They loved it!

Laurel said...

After we had 3 kids in 2 1/2 years ... my husband said, "Three is good."

Then ... God gave us twins.

After we had 5 kids in 4 years ... my husband said, "5 is certainly enough. Isn't my quiver full enough?"

Then ... God gave us #6 (in 6 years).

After #7 was born, my husband told everyone, "7 is God's perfect number".

Then ... God spoke to his heart and told him, "Are you trusting ME for the size of your family?"

After #8, #9, and #10 ... my husband was adamant, 'We are DONE now."

Then ... God spoke to my heart about adoption.

Dear husband said, "No! N.O. NO!"

I prayed.

God spoke to my husband's heart ... and we brought home 3 siblings from Ghana in 2008.

A year ago, I got pregnant again (at age 49). We were so excited to fill our quiver a bit more. But ... that was not to be. We lost our precious "last" child.

Now ... we are going to start filling our "Grandbaby Quiver" ... as Grandbaby #1 is due ANY day.

Glad to have found your blog (from Anita's). Hoping your transition time with your new kiddos goes well.

Rejoicing with you that God WILL speak to reluctant husbands ... when we step back and allow the LORD to do HIS work in their lives.

Laurel
mama of 12 (ages 10, 10, 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23, 23, 25, 26, 27)