Saturday, October 1, 2011

The children of God

Tonight at dinner, Samuel had chicken and french fries on his plate. Aiden needed to eat something different due to allergies so I saw Samuel lean over to Aiden and whisper (loudly), "Aiden, can I have your chicken and french fries after I eat all of mine?" And my heart broke. My sweet, little boy is ALWAYS talking about food. He is always concerned about what he will eat and how much of it next. He goes to bed asking what we will have for breakfast. He leaves breakfast asking what we will have for lunch. Heartbreaking.

Tonight, though, as I listened to him petition with Aiden, I looked at him and reassured him. I told him not to worry. He will never go hungry here. I will always give him food. My heart hurts that the fear of hunger haunts him, that there was a day when he would not get food. Lord, please, heal his heart and the hearts of so many children living around the world tonight who will go to bed hungry. I pray God will break my heart, your heart for these children and people and we will want to GIVE. Give of ourselves and what we have because we have so much. And not just food and material items. We have so much LOVE and that's what it truly comes down to. We have the love of Jesus that so many people do not have, do not know.

This week a precious little boy walked over to me (under 2) and held his arms up to me. I knelt down to his little face and he just wrapped his arms around my neck. That broke me. Completely broke me. I wanted to scoop him up and hold him forever. Whisper to him Jesus loves you. He will never leave you. He is beside you, ALWAYS.

The Lord is doing so much in my heart right now. He is breaking it like never before. He is calling me out of my comfort zone and showing me over and over again what I have known for years. He has called me to care for the children of the world, the fatherless, the sick, the hurting. He has given my family the ability to welcome other children into our home and love them like our own. And I have watched my children grow tremendously in Jesus' love through that.

Tonight, as you go to bed, ask God what He has called you to do. How does He want you to step out of your comfort zone? What is He telling you to do?


No comments: